The Aussie system gets my vote

The Aussie system gets my vote: "Dear Australian Electoral Commission,

This is just a little note to thank you for being the way you are. And an apology for taking you for granted all this time. Like many millions of Australians, I'm guilty of thinking you a little fusty, with your anally retentive rules and your little cardboard demountable booths.

On occasion, I have rolled my eyes.

Like that time in, I think, 2004 when one of your electoral officials told Tony Abbott he had to remove his Liberal Party T-shirt before voting (no campaign material within six metres of a polling place). I'm all for sticking to the rules, but surely the broader cost to the sighted community on that occasion could have been weighed?

Advertisement
Or that time you reprimanded me for not voting in the NSW local government elections, when I was living overseas and couldn't care less who the mayor of Queanbeyan was."

'via Blog this'

Popular posts from this blog